Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Everybody Is Chanting

"Everybody Is Chanting"

August 30, 1973


download
  flash player

Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada 

Prabhupada: No, we should generally know that we may take pleasure chanting Hare Krsna loudly. Others may not.Revatinandana: Right.
Prabhupada: That is generally. So when you go others' place, we may not chant loudly, simply chant in such a way you can hear. That's all.
Harry: Yeah, this'll do it. I mean, if you want to chant...
Prabhupada: You don't stop chanting.
Harry: No!
Prabhupada: But that: (softly:) Hare Krsna Hare Krsna, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama... I am hearing. That's all.
Revatinandana: Yes.
Prabhupada: Not that you have to advertise yourself, you are chanting, Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Hare Krsna...
Harry: Because, you see, this is the thing. People say, "Oh, you know..." Because you know that they call me. You know what they say, don't you? Hare Krsna on this side, and Harry Edwards on the other side.
Revatinandana: Oh, Harry on this side and Hare Krsna on the other.
Harry: Hare Krsna on this side, and Harry Edwards on the other side, that's me. (laughter)
Syamasundara: He lives across the road, you see.
Harry: I live across the road.
Syamasundara: So it's Hare Krsna on this side and Harry Edwards on that side.
Prabhupada: Oh.
Syamasundara: His name is Harry Edwards.
Prabhupada: Oh, I see.
Harry: My name is Harry Edwards.
Syamasundara: So the people who are...
Prabhupada: A good name.
Harry: Yes.
Prabhupada: By chanting your name... (laughter)
Harry: Oh, there you are, there you are, yes. This is it. They are chanting my name, you know. Yeah. 'Cause when I ring up the station.
Prabhupada: So when somebody's disturbed, he can say, "I'm calling Mr. Harry."(laughter).
Harry: You see, when I ring up the station in the morning, you see, say, "Ah, Hare Krsna." I say: "Hare Krsna to you." (laughter) So I mean some way or other, you're doing what you're asking to do, aren't you? Psychologically.
Syamasundara: Everyone's being forced to chant Hare Krsna.
Harry: Yeah... But I think these, you know, and I know, of course, you know, I've...
Prabhupada: The people chant Hare Krsna by seeing us. Yes. All over the world.
Harry: Yes. They say to me, Harry Edwards, you see, or Hare...
Syamasundara: Yes.
Harry: So therefore, really and truly, if you look at it psychologically, you've achieved your object without them knowing.
Prabhupada: (chuckles) Yes. Yes.
Harry: Is that right?
Prabhupada: Yes.
Revatinandana: Yes, this is why we dress this way. Every time we go on the street, everybody on the street says, "There's one of the Hare Krsna people." He says "Hare Krsna" one time.
Harry: That's. Really. Yeah, yeah. But do you think...? I suppose... Well, it's like everything else. I suppose they would get used to it. Oh, I don't know. They say, if there's a problem... As far as we are concerned, as far as the police are concerned, we can find nothing wrong. You have done nothing wrong, nothing wrong. I mean, I don't know what you got, supposed to do, I don't know what you're supposed to do wrong anyway, but... But that's it, as far as we are concerned...
Prabhupada: Yes.
Harry: We do have this liaison. You know, I must keep in liaison with you. So if I come over here, gentlemen, you must realize I am not here, I am not here for the purpose of, say, spying, if you may think this. I don't suppose you do?
Syamasundara: You're welcome at any time.
Harry: But this is the purpose, anyway... I don't know if I've got to, stay overstayed my welcome...
Syamasundara: We feel very good when we see you here. We feel very pleased to see you on the grounds.
Harry: Yes, oh, yes, yes. But don't forget, gentlemen, as I say, I, you must realize that I still have a job to do and if there was something in which you think I should report upon...
Prabhupada: Mr. Ha... (opening letter), you can read this letter, that so many people, they offered their place for our temple. Just now we have received this letter. One body is offering his...
 
>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Officer Harry Edwards, the Village Policeman -- August 30, 1973, Bhaktivedanta Manor, London
© 2001 The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International.

No comments:

Post a Comment